I don’t know about y’all but I’ve never really been one to make New Year’s resolutions…or at least to stick to the ones I loosely made. For one thing it seems most people, including me, don’t stick to them and another thing they typically seem kinda unrealistic or cheesy. This year though I’ve got a new outlook on life and I feel like 2020 is the year to strive for more.
At this time in my life I’m trying to become more ‘real’ and I’m trying to really make things work for me…maybe it’s ’cause I’m 52? Lol. At any rate I’ve come up with a list of resolutions that I think are realistic, meaningful and doable.
Meaningful New year resolution suggestions for 2020
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier and plan out your day.
- Start a daily routine and stick to it.
- Shower and get out of your pajamas, even if you work at home and have nowhere to go!
- Make your bed daily. Doesn’t have to be perfect but at least smooth things out so it looks inviting.
- Clear the clutter daily. Even if it’s just moving things to a basket until cleaning day.
- Do something physical for at least 30 minutes every day. Walk, try yoga, anything to get you moving.
- Plan weekly menus and shopping lists so you have the ingredients on hand, no more urgent trips to the store.
- Smile more, you’ll automatically feel happier. Trust me, it works!
- Take the time to say hello to people you come in contact with no matter how briefly.
- Make a cleaning schedule and accomplish at least one thing every day.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your family to help out, no one should have to do it all.
- Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s whoever they are.
- Volunteer, even once a month will be rewarding. It can be just walking dogs at the local shelter. Anything that helps someone less fortunate and brightens someone’s day.
- Read more just for fun.
- Listen to upbeat music, something that makes you tap your toes and sing along to does wonders for motivating you while you are doing housework.
- Eat healthier.
- Drink more water. I know that gets said a lot but it really helps to clear the head and cleanse the body.
- Avoid being around negative people and drama. You can be friendly without letting them drag you down, know when to walk away.
- Cook and eat at home more. Not only will you save money but it’s much more relaxing to have dinner with the family in the privacy of your home, most of the time, lol.
- Play with your kids or grand kids or your pets. Preferably, outside in the fresh air if you can. Even video games can be fun but being outside throwing a frisbee or shooting hoops can’t be beat.
- Get organized. It’s so hard to stay focused when everything’s a mess. Especially if you work from home.
- Do something creative at least once a week.
- Make lists of things to do, things to purchase, etc, it’s such a nice feeling when you can cross something off!
i’m going to work on these things myself
I’m hoping by making this list of ideas I’ll work harder to follow them myself. I’m terrible about not getting dressed unless I’m going somewhere. Kind of embarrassing going to the door at 1 o’clock in the afternoon still in my jammies! And organized, HA! I’m anything but and sometimes it’s overwhelming to come into my craft/computer room to work when there’s is crap lying everywhere! It sometimes looks like a tornado went through the room.
I’ve done better this year as far as cooking and meal planning, I don’t usually plan every day but I do try to have all of the ingredients for a week’s worth of meals. I sometimes don’t stick to the plan as well as I should. But I’m going to work on it.
I have noticed that since I came out of a period of deep depression my outlook has brightened up. Partly because the meds are finally right. But a lot of it is to do with smiling more, starting a new hobby with this blog has given me something to strive for. Hopefully, one day I can monetize it and contribute to the household financially. But for now just writing and creating is very uplifting. And, I’m finally feeling creative again, it’s been years!
Click the image below to access the free printable PDF file to help with menu planning and shopping for ingredients!
Let me know if you have any ideas to add! I’ll definitely share my progress as it happens.
Happy New Year everyone!
**May contain affiliate links. I only promote products I use and highly recommend. Some products I review are sent to me at a discount or no charge. All opinions are mine. I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you if purchase through my links. See my Disclosure for the full disclosure statement.**